Monday, February 3, 2014

College Basketball: Angelo State Rams vs. Midwestern State

After shooting the Angelo State Rambelles' game it was time for the Rams' game against Midwestern State. I really enjoy covering the Rams because their games are fast-paced and they play closer to the rim. Again, this was the first time I've covered a Rams basketball game this year so it was nice to be back in the thick of things. Plus, the crowd excitement is boosted a little during the men's game.

The Rams have got some stellar players this year, led by No. 33 Kenny Williams, a transfer student from St. Louis, Mo. Not only that, but they were holding on to a perfect 8-0 home record. Right from the tip off the Rams were in control of the game leading 41-31 at the half, and their 36 to 26 scoring advantage from the bench was a big reason for their success. The Angelo State University men's basketball team made its biggest statement of the season so far by dismantling Midwestern State 83-68.

Being out and about on assignments is also a nice chance to catch up with people I don't get to see very often as well. I ended up running into a former colleague who was a major inspiration for me when I first started working at the Standard-Times way back in 2004. His name is Arthur Spragg and now he continues to help us out at the paper by doing some freelance work for us. He really comes through for us during the football season on Friday nights.

I learned quite a bit from Arthur when I first started in the industry about caring for every assignment I go on even if the assignment is less than thrilling. I remember him telling me one day that "every story means something to somebody. Don't go to an assignment thinking that it's a waste of your time when others have devoted so much time to it." Wise words to live by in just about every aspect of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment