Monday, February 17, 2014

2014 San Angelo Stock Show & Rodeo: 4th Performance

Okay, I'll just say it: Covering the San Angelo Stock Show & Rodeo is just plain fun. I can't tell you how lucky we are that this event is located in our little town. Well, it's not so little, but we are conveniently located in the middle of nowhere West Texas. And that middle of nowhere location is at a crossroads for several major cities so everybody comes through here at least once if they spend any time in our area. San Angelo is 180 miles from Lubbock, 130 miles from Midland and Odessa, 90 miles from Abilene, 220 miles from San Antonio and 200 miles from Austin. Add in all the little towns in between and San Angelo is a major hub for this area of the state. And during the rodeo, all points converge on us. Like I said, we're very lucky.

Sunday was another rodeo day for me, it was the fourth performance of twelve. Like I said in my previous post, the first performance is always a trial run for me and also for the rodeo production staff. It amazes me how fast the rodeo staff can take a good performance and turn it around into a great performance a mere two days later. Mad props to this year's rodeo staff, they're doing a great job.

The opening act of this year's rodeo involves a bunch of pyrotechnics and fog machines which can be a little troublesome when it comes time to start shooting the first event. The fog lingers for quite a while making it difficult to get images in focus. Don't get me wrong, it's cool as all get out as part of the opening act, but for the first few events all of the images come out looking a bit hazy. It's not something I can really complain about though, it's all part of the challenge of shooting the event.

The rest of the rodeo went about as smoothly as you could ask for and I think I was able to come away a few nice shots. Of course it's hard not to when you're photographing rodeo. It's a pretty dynamic and exciting event. And it's too bad we have wait another week before the next performance because I feel like we're getting a good handle on capturing some good moments. I have to give a shout out to my fellow photographers, Andrew Mitchell and Jennifer Rios, who are also covering the rodeo. It's an insanely busy time for us here at paper and we always end up working way more hours than normal. It can get a little tiring, but after it's all said and done, pretty rewarding too.

No comments:

Post a Comment