Saturday, November 16, 2013

College Soccer: Angelo State vs. West Texas A&M

ASUsoccer09 Here's something I don't get to cover very often... Angelo State University soccer! It's unfortunate that the Angelo State soccer season runs concurrently with the high school football season because it really limits the amount of coverage they get. Their games are played on Fridays (football night) and Sundays (usual days off). We get out to two, maybe three, games a season. This year was no different. I finally caught up with them in the Lone Star Conference Women's Soccer Tournament hosted by Angelo State. They were the top seed in the four-team tournament and they were playing West Texas A&M. From what I read and from what I was told they were the clear favorites to win the game and move on to the the championship round the following Sunday.

When I arrived at the field for the match a light rain had just started to fall over the city. A cold front had moved in over night dropping the daily high about 20 degrees. I think we got up to about 50-degrees but with the wind it seemed more like 40. Add the rain and it was almost miserable. I walked up to the gate with all my gear, introduced myself to the lady at the ticket counter and she looked at me and said, "You're not on the list." List? What list? I'm with the local media and I've got my Standard-Times badge as well as the media badge issued to me by Angelo State. This lady would not be moved. Apparently I had to have a Lone Star Conference badge to cover this game. Crap. As I walked away from the gate trying to figure out how I was going to cover this game, when who should I see walking up to the field but Dr. Brain May, Angelo State's president. Dr. May and I have always had a good relationship so I rushed over to him and explained my predicament. Calmly, Dr. May put his hand on my shoulder and said, "Let me handle this."

ASUsoccer07 ASUsoccer08 ASUsoccer06 ASUsoccer10 For the first 15 minutes of the game it seemed that Angelo State was going to score quickly. Unfortunately, they were never able to capitalize on their opportunities. The match seemed to fall into a stalemate until late in the first half when West Texas managed to put the ball in the back of the net to go ahead 1-0. After the half the game fell back into the stalemate and stayed there throughout the second half. Angelo State had a few more good chances to tie things up, but again never quite getting the break they needed. The game ended with a 1-0 win for West Texas knocking the Rambelles out of the tournament and hoping for a spot in the playoffs with their record.

ASUsoccer05 ASUsoccer04 ASUsoccer03 ASUsoccer02 ASUsoccer01

No comments:

Post a Comment