Saturday, August 24, 2013

High School Volleyball: 2013 Nita Vannoy Tournament

NitaVannoy15 For the past 36 years San Angelo has played host to the Nita Vannoy Memorial Volleyball Tournament, a massive 32-team high school tournament played at various courts in the city. This two-day tournament can be a lot of fun, but at the same time you come away pretty exhausted. Like, if I never see another volleyball for the rest of the year it'll be too soon, kind of exhaustion. I know that will never happen as we have some pretty good teams in our coverage area that deserve some love from the Standard-Times.

The teams are divided up into eight pools and play three games each that first day. I had a good plan going into Friday's games as far as coverage, but there are always the unseen variables that can throw you a curve ball. One of those curves was if a match ended early, game officials only allowed roughly five minutes for the teams of the next match to warm up before starting. I had a 8:00am game which finished in about 30 minutes so the next game started roughly five minutes later. That game also ended in about 30 minutes. The tournament was now running ahead of schedule by about half an hour. Were the other games at the other gyms across town moving as fast as this? Hope I don't miss any. Fortunately, I was able to make all the other games I wanted to with the exception of the very last one. I had to wait another 2 hours before I was able to shoot the last area team at 7:00pm.

Originally, I was scheduled to be off on Saturday, but we had a few too many assignments to cover that day and too few photographers to cover them. I had to come in and shoot the championship game held at Central High School. Vying for the title were the Lady Mustangs from Midland Christian and San Angelo's own Central High School who, by the way, have won the title eight times.

Make it nine.

From the start it looked as if Central was going to run away with the title. They won the first set 25-13. The second set was a little more action-packed as Midland Christian and Central traded points back and forth for most of the game. Eventually Central took control and won 25-23. I've seen more volleyball in the last two days than I will for the rest of the year. With football starting in a week I doubt I'll be shooting another game for a while.

NitaVannoy03 NitaVannoy04 NitaVannoy05 NitaVannoy06 NitaVannoy07 NitaVannoy08 NitaVannoy09 NitaVannoy10 NitaVannoy11 NitaVannoy14 NitaVannoy12 NitaVannoy01 NitaVannoy13 NitaVannoy02

No comments:

Post a Comment