Thursday, February 28, 2013

2013 San Angelo Stock Show & Rodeo: Sixth Perfomance

SixthRodeo05 So after my little spot news outing to cover a fire at a local business, I finally was able to settle into shooting my first rodeo performance at the Foster Communications Coliseum. I am slated to shoot the Friday performance as well as both performances on Saturday so this is more or less going to be a scouting mission to see how the opening ceremonies will happen. That way when I come back I can decide what will be a better position to shoot from at the next performance.

I know that I will not be able to stay for the entire performance because we have been having trouble transmitting photos from the Coliseum back to the office. That usually means that I will only get to shoot the first three events (bull riding, steer wrestling and bareback riding) before leaving. I think that we will be double staffing the next few performances just so we can get photos from the other events to go in our special rodeo section that will come out a week after the rodeo is done.

SixthRodeo01 SixthRodeo07 SixthRodeo06 SixthRodeo03 As far as the opening ceremony of the rodeo goes, this one for me personally rated about a 6 out of 10. It looked a lot like last year's and didn't really have that wow factor I've come to expect. And to be perfectly honest, the opening section of bull riding wasn't all that exciting. I don't know if it was just that the cowboys were that bad or if the bulls were just that good, but no one seemed to be able to stay on for the full eight seconds.

However, the steer wrestling, as usual, was pretty good. Royce Johnson was able to bring his steer down in just over four seconds which is always a thrill to watch. Bareback riding was about the same as the bull riding with not many of the riders scoring very high marks. The one bright spot in the bareback was when Shon Gibson scored an 82 on his ride. Other than those two competitors, my night at the rodeo didn't really have anything to write home about, and I had to leave to get photos back to the office. I wish I was able to stay, but we have to work within the time constraints we're given. Such is the news business.

SixthRodeo04 SixthRodeo02 SixthRodeo08

No comments:

Post a Comment