Wednesday, January 30, 2013

High School Soccer: Central vs. Midland Lee Boys/Girls

CHSsoccer05 Tuesday was a very strange day, weather-wise. I am currently on the night shift which means I'll be shooting a lot of sports in the evening. I originally thought that I would be traveling to Brady to cover some area high school basketball, but that changed Tuesday morning to local high school soccer. And I didn't find that out until I was so rudely awoken to the sound of rolling thunder.

I thought to myself, "I didn't know we were supposed to get any rain today?" I did read that we were going to have a cold front move through, but rain? No sooner had I finished that thought I was jolted out of bed at 10:00 that morning to what sounded like a hoard of vandals banging on the outside of every wall of the house. I peeked out the window nearest the bed and saw quarter-sized hail bouncing off the ground mixed in with a little rain. "What the...," I said out loud.

This went on for about five minutes solid and then abruptly stopped, the skies cleared up to its normal blue and the sun came out. Weird. I checked my phone for messages and that's when I saw my assignment changed. Oh how I wish it hadn't.

CHSsoccer06 CHSsoccer07 CHSsoccer04 CHSsoccer01 Instead of getting to stop for a pit barbeque dinner at my favorite restaurant in Brady and stay indoors in a cozy gymnasium all nice and warm, I was now going to have to suffer through the remnants of this cold front and the 30 to 35 mph wind that pushed it through. The wind was relentless. It's hard enough to to shoot the game in the wind and I'm sure it was doubly hard to play in it.

Both the boys and girls Central High School teams were playing Midland Lee in a District 2-5A mach at San Angelo Stadium. The Lady Cats were a perfect 2-0 in district play as were the boys team heading into the match. And both games got off to a very slow start. Perhaps the wind had something to do with that. The first goal of the girls game didn't come until the waning minutes of the first half and the first goal of the boys game didn't come until the second half.

But despite the howling wind and never-ending swirl of dirt, leaves and loose trash on the field, the Lady Cats came out victorious, blanking Lee 3-0 to remain perfect in district play. The Bobcats on the other hand weren't so lucky. They were down 2-0 in the second half until a quick scoring drive and a penalty kick tied things up 2-2. Lee eventually found the back of the net again and the game ended with Lee on top 3-2. The night ended with mixed feelings for Central fans, but I'm sure the one thing we can all agree on is that playing in the driving wind is pretty much the pits.

CHSsoccer03 CHSsoccer02

No comments:

Post a Comment