Saturday, October 27, 2012

Friday Night Football Week 8: Eldorado vs. TLCA

EldoradoTLCA04 I might as well take up permanent residence in District 6-1A. This will be the third game in the district I've covered in as many weeks, tonight though I got to stay in town as the Eldorado Eagles came to challenge the TLCA Eagles to continue the drama for district superiority. If you remember from last week's post Eldorado is the only team in District 6-1A to remain undefeated. With a win tonight over TLCA, the Eagles would clinch the district title and cruise easily into the first round of the playoffs.

From the outset it looked like the game was going to be a defensive battle with neither team able to muster a scoring drive in the first quarter. But all of that was about to change in the second quarter. Eldorado managed two long touchdown runs to go up 14-0 late in the quarter and just 60 seconds after their second touchdown, Eldorado defensive back Brian Shriver picks off TLCA's Alex Garcia near midfield and ran the ball back for another touchdown. Just like that the Eldorado Eagles held a comfortable 21-0 lead heading into halftime.

EldoradoTLCA03 EldoradoTLCA02 EldoradoTLCA01 EldoradoTLCA08 TLCA is a local school in the city limits of San Angelo so I didn't have to drive to any of the outlying towns to cover tonight's game. I like covering the area games, and I've had a lot of opportunities to do that this year, but I was glad to be close to home tonight. As I was editing my first half photos I had the the radio in my car tuned to the game so I could hear what was going on during the third quarter. I missed a few of the early scoring plays so when I finally started to listen both teams had scored. Eldorado was now leading 28-7. TLCA wasn't able to counter anything Eldorado was throwing at them. Two more touchdowns later and Eldorado was taking a knee to run out the clock ending the game on top 42-7.

I really do want to see TLCA have some success with their program. They are only in their third year of playing 11-man football and their combined record for their first two seasons was 0-20. So when they started winning games this year we started covering them regularly. However, for the games I have covered, they have lost. I still have not seen TLCA win a game yet. I must be the same bad luck for TLCA as I am for Irion County.

EldoradoTLCA06 EldoradoTLCA05 EldoradoTLCA07

No comments:

Post a Comment